Friday, November 22, 2013

Challenge #1 Make Do & Mend: Planning Phase


I am so very excited to be participating in the Historical Sew Fortnightly for 2014. Last year was a bust for me sewing wise and so I am wanting to get a good start for 2014. 
The first challenge is Make, Do, Mend and I racked my brains on what I could do for it. I have plenty of garments that are going to need fixes here and there but I just couldn't get excited about doing a blog or taking pictures of a few fixed seams and such. 
Then a picture started going around on Facebook of a Men's shirt being cut and sewn into a little girl's dress. Aha! I thought, perfect! So I started to pester my hubby about donating one of his shirts for me to cut down into a little dress for Megan. As I waited for a shirt I began researching the potential historical techniques for this project. I didn't get very far before I ran into an article about flour sack dresses. 
And finally inspiration struck. So I went shopping so that I can make my daughter a flour sack dress as my first project, in honor of the women who made do during The Great Depression up to and beyond WWII, including the women in my own family.

First I would need a 1930's/40's pattern. This is the one I decided upon. 


 I love how this time period has little girls being all legs. 
I am planning on making the dress from the top left as of right now.


Next I trolled EBay and Etsy to find authentic Vintage Flour Sack Fabric.

This is the one I finally decided upon. I couldn't believe how many patterns were available!

My next entry will be on a little bit of the history of the Sack Cloth Dress.

2 comments:

  1. You do know they still print on real flour sacks--also masa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that, but I am going to check it out. Although I doubt that the prints are quite the same. :) I've had a lot of fun so far researching for this.

      Delete